So even though the Monday nite game surprised the heck outta me, this week was, I must say, a pleasant return to winning form. 10 – 4 feels a whole lot better than last week’s debacle. Mayhaps the Chargers should have a bye week more often. Considering the 5-0 team that they get to play Monday night, I’m going to savor this winning weekend for the entire 7 days. Here are the notables for Week 5:
- San Fran signs Crabtree, lose badly. Hmmm….
- Oakland should start shopping for #1 draft picks already. Whatever signs of hope existed have faded under the weight of irresponsible coaches and unmotivated players.
- T.O. has been strangely silent in Buffalo…but the losing ways seem to be sinking in there regardless.
- Ravens are tougher than their record…and ran into a much more motivated Bengals team, winning for the sudden loss of a loved one.
- Kansas City is also better than their record. A poor play call and time management cost them the OT win against Dallas. Fundamentals, guys. Fundamentals.
- Tom Brady, in very un-Brady-like style, coughs up the ball at a key moment in the game. I can count on two thumbs the number of times you didn’t want that guy to have the ball late in the game. I have to say it, though, he looked embarrassed in the post-game press conference when asked about it.
- Team Full of Surprises: Miami – who’d have thought their offense would really develop AFTER their vaunted QB was injured?
- Team MVP: Matt Hasslebeck, franchise player has never been more true than to see the difference his presence and leadership brought the Hawks on Sunday.
- Players to Hang Your Hat On: Manning, McNabb, A. Peterson, Drew Brees (so what if he was sitting at home drinking a cold one? he was prolly still clocking yardage.)
- Players Coming Into Their Own: Miles Austin, Kyle Orton
- Player I Love to Root For: Kurt Warner, ye olde man of the NFL. Who’s never retired and unretired. He just keeps playing. Graciously.
Next Week: I become a complete bundle of nerves watching my Chargers play the undefeated Broncos on Monday night before my weekend in NYC. Whew!!!